Thursday, February 5, 2009

Amti - Ruchira style

Another version of one of my favourite dishes - I have waxed eloquent on the joys of simple, Maharashtrian home cooking and for those who wonder what all the fuss is about, do try this once. Amti, in all its lentil cloaked goodness is at once comforting and delicious. Maybe it's my sambar craving South Indian roots, maybe its my Mumbai upbringing eating varan bhath at my neighbour's house - whatever it is - I loove amti!

Ruchira - the cookbook, as I have mentioned in this post, is very inspiring to the cook who has experimented and just wants to come back to some good 'ol home cooking! So, I had to try this version of amti when I picked up the book - and I wasn't disappointed.

The flavours were absolutely amazing - simple, clean yet carrying that indescribable aroma of goda masala mixed with tamarind. Perfect with some hot polis or even just rice and bhindi bhaji (okra stir fry). Goda masala is usually home made in Maharashtrian households but Bedekar and some other local brands in Mumbai make a decent mix too.

This dish goes to this month's edition of Monthly Mingle - Healthy Family Dinners - being hosted by Michelle of What's Cooking. Monthly Mingle is originally the brainchild of Meeta of the amazing blog What's for Lunch Honey.

Toor Dal Amti

adapted from Ruchira by Kamlabai Ogale

Toor dal - 3/4 cup (split pigeon peas)
Marble sized piece of tamarind soaked in 5 tbsp of water
1 tsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tsp goda masala
1/2 tsp grated jaggery

Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - pinch
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp oil
8-10 curry leaves

Garnish
grated fresh coconut
Chopped fresh coriander leaves

1. Cook the dal in plenty of water in a pressure cooker till soft. Whisk the dal a bit.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard, when they splutter add the green chilli, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
3. Add the cooked dal, the jaggery, salt, goda masala and the tamarind juice. Bring to a boil and reduce flame and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the grated coconut and coriander leaves and remove from flame.



11 comments:

Finla said...

Delicious looking dal, would love to havve iwth plain rice.

FH said...

I have a smaller English version of Ruchira, love the recipes. Amti looks yum! :)

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this before... looks like a zingy dal preparation to go great with hot rice, or I could even use this as soup.

Miri said...

Thanks Happy Cook and Asha. Soma, I'm sure you will love it when you try it!

Cham said...

Toor dhal with goda masala, very different and simple and delicous

amna said...

i don't know what goda masala is :O

* shuffles off to do a Google Search *

Meera said...

Amti, bhat, poli & Bhendi chi bhaji?? Yum!! I am coming over to gobble up!!;-)

Swapna said...

Love the recipe. Will go great with rice.

Sia said...

i am trying to get hold of ruchira. unfortunately i haen't seen it on ebay or amazon. may be next time when i visit india.
amti has become my fav after i tried lobia amti from nupur's blog. i have prepared one big batch of amti masala after following her recipe. but haven't found dagad phool for goda masala.

Vaishali said...

A delicious but simple recipe. Miri, I have to get a copy of Ruchira the next time I'm in India: I keep hearing great things about it.

Bong Mom said...

That is such a lovely dal, have a packet of goda masala and no idea what to do with it, this is where it goes