Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Fudge - the perfect Valentine's Day treat

My own stash of indulgence - chocolate fudge seems so much more decadent than just chocolate. The creamy combination of butter, chocolate and nuts is exquisite! The original recipe from Nigella Express has pistachios in it; I used macadamia nuts since I had them left over from my trip to Australia - but feel free to use the nuts you like. Plus I added dried currants. Not much can go wrong when you combine chocolate, fruit and nuts.

I reduced the condensed milk in the recipe and used dark chocolate instead of semi sweet - still perfectly soft, fudgy and delicious. AND super quick.So, go ahead - make this your Valentine's Day gift....for yourself! :)



Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Fudge 
(Adapted from Chocolate Pistachio Fudge from Nigella Express)

300gm dark chocolate,broken up or chopped (I use Morde dark Chocolate which is great for cooking and now available in most large grocery stores)
1/2 can condensed milk (sweetened)
pinch of salt
1/2 cup macadamia nuts - lightly toasted and broken into pieces
1/3 cup black currants or big, dark raisins
1 tbsp butter

1. Put the chopped chocolate, condensed milk, butter and salt in a vessel which can fit into another pan half filled with water. Put the pan of water on low heat and stir till the chocolate melts and mixes with the condensed milk and butter. Alternatively, you can put the ingredients in a microwaveable bowl and zap it at 40 second intervals till the chocolate melts.

2. Add the broken nuts and raisins/currants into the chocolate mixture and mix well.

3. Take a 8" square pan and line it with aluminum foil. Pour the mixture into it and even out the top with the blunt end of a knife or the back of a spoon.

4. Cool and then refrigerate until the fudge is set. Cut into squares as you would for barfi (an Indian milk sweet).




5. Its cool here now, so I left it outside in a jar, but when its warm, its probably best to store this in the fridge (Nigella recommends keeping it in the freezer and having it without thawing).

This goes to the Forever Nigella Event - #2 - Seduced by Chocolate being hosted by Sarah of Maison CupCake








10 comments:

Archana said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy !!

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm, feel like munching some..

Kalyan Karmakar said...

The fudge looks luscious. I think that macademia nuts were a very good call Miri. I am travelling to Oz on work. Perhaps we should chat offline. Would love to get any tips from you

indosungod said...

Oh my! just delicious and so easy. My kids would be thrilled if I made this and maybe I should.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

This looks glorious - I'm surprised we've not had more sweets this month, everyone went for cake!

Thanks for taking part in Forever Nigella!

sarah said...

yummy! I had demanded to my hubby that he get me chocs for v day..now i think i'l jus make this and gift myself:)))

Vaishali said...

Miri, how perfect is that fudge? Perfect indeed for Valentine's Day. A very happy Valentine's Day to you!

rajani@eatwritethink said...

chocolate recipe? you said? i am smiling too... i love that dark looking fudge.

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Me and my daughters made this fudge in vast quantities but without the nuts, for the school fair a few weeks ago. It sold out.

TheGourmetCoffeeGuy said...

Chocolate, macadamia, currants, raisins...what a recipe! Great post and photos.